Selected Topics in Digital Learning
Digital learning is a generic term for all types of technology-supported learning. Both Distance Learning and In-Person Learning can be included to varying degrees. All can include Digital Learning in one way or another. According to Georgiagov, digital learning consists of three aspects: technology, digital content, and instruction.
Students in the Master's explore selected sub-aspects of digital learning in a broader and more open context. In doing so, the aspects of technology, digital content, instruction, feedback as well as potentials and challenges for impaired and technology-impaired learners are investigated and transferred into well-founded guidelines that are finally applied to a self-selected, concrete learning scenario.
More detailed explanations of the individual topics can be found below.
Note on language: The kick-off event will be held in English. The individual meetings can take place in German as well as in English.
4 ECTS for M.Sc.
- Master Computer Science
- Master Data Science
- Master Media Informatics
- Master Software Systems Engeneering
The grade is composed of:
- written elaboration (intermidiate submissions + paper): 60%
- presentation + discussion: 40%
To pass, participation in kick-off, the individual meetings as well as the presentations is mandatory.
Milestones and deliverables
Deadline for all submissions is on mondays at 8 a.m.
- Initial Literature: 23.10.2023
- Topic and Research Questions: 30.10.2023
- Extended Collection: 06.11.2023
- Idea: 12.11.2023
- Literature Contribution + Visualization: 20.11.2023
- Visualization: 27.11.2023
- Skeleton: 04.12.2023
- Writing: 18.12.2023
- Finished Paper for Review: 08.01.2024
- Review: 15.01.2024
- Presentation: 29.01.2024
- Camera-Ready: 05.02.2024
- Polished Paper: 26.02.2023
- Monday, 09.10.2023
Topic and Research Questions – Individual Meeting (15 minutes)
- Monday, 30.10.2023; Tuesday, 31.10.2023
Visualisierung- Individuelle Termine (30 Minuten):
- Monday, 27.11.2023; Tuesday, 28.11.2023; Wednesday, 29.11.2023
Presentation – Individual Meetings (30 minutes):
- Monday, 29.01.2024; Tuesday, 30.01.2024; Wednesday, 31.01.2024
- Monday, 05.02.2024 (09:00 – 16:00) or Tuesday, 06.02.2024 (09:00 – 16:00)
All topics are assigned twice. The work is done individually. The examples given are only intended as a guide, but the design of your topic is not limited to these examples.
- In this topic, you deal with the aspect of technology. Technology is the tool here. For example, you deal with which technology is used in the context of digital learning, under which conditions, which requirements arise for teachers or learners when using this technology, ...
- Digital content
- In this topic, you will deal with the aspect of digial content. This involves digital learning materials that are provided with the help of technology. For example, you will look at what types of digital content are already being used, what other content could be used in what context, what the requirements are for technology to provide the digital content, what content is suitable for which target groups, ...
- In this topic, you will deal with the aspect of instruction. Digital learning changes the role of teachers. For example, you will look at how the role of teachers is changing, what challenges this brings, how digital learning can be integrated into traditional teaching, ...
- In this topic you will deal with e.g. how feedback can be given, how feedback can be automated, how the quality of feedback can be ensured, ...
- Potentials and challenges for impaired and technology-impaired learners.
- In this topic you will deal with the potentials and challenges of digital learning for learners with impairments and those who are not familiar with technology. For example, you will look at how assistive technologies can be used, what requirements people in your target group have for digital learning, ...